Technology is at its peak and is progressing at an even faster pace. From automating a simple unit test to automating the whole business process, technology has enhanced its way to the digital era. Due to this, there has also been an incredible surge in the requirement of applications and tools for various purposes and requirements.
RPA and Selenium are two such tools of the modern computer era that execute tasks that are totally different and yet associated with one another. Both are on and off-screen performers and an unavoidable element of the computerization revolution all over the world. So let’s have a look at what both of these tools are and what differences they have between them.
What is RPA?
RPA which is short for Robotic Process Automation is a business automation technology that assists in automating the respective tasks, which are tedious and time-consuming. It automates the processes without human intervention. Software and bots are utilized to mimic human activities and execute the desired task. It is mainly used in automating backend processes and applications that need repetitive action coordination. Data Analysis, Recordkeeping, and most importantly jobs that compel imitating a human action. With a rising number of industrial and business segments depending on the automation of their operations, RPA is at its pinnacle.
RPA entered the business from 3 primary predecessors namely:
1. Workflow Automation – It refers to the automation and execution of a business process where tasks are conducted based on a set of predefined rules. This assists in formulating low code plans, less effort execution, and optimization of workflow.
2. Screen Scraping – It plays a crucial role in the fields of data integration and data migration. It was the main element that was utilized for obtaining screen display data from one application, and translating it so that another application can demonstrate it.
3. Artificial Intelligence – It deals with the simulation of human intelligence by machines. It facilitates systems to perform all the allocated tasks that the user was presumed to do on his own. It furthermore helps in the development of business and industry transformation. Machine learning and Deep learning helps in enforcing AI.
Features of RPA are as follows:
- RPA bots assist in managing and performing a multitude of human actions such as filling forms, moving files and folders, copy and paste data, and much more.
- RPA mainly establishes software bots that could work effortlessly with the system.
- RPA is a combination of both AI and Automation.
- RPA is a reasonable choice for repetitive tasks.
- It lessens the risk factor, and the data is highly safeguarded.
- It can moreover be utilized as a link to external systems that cannot be connected via other IT alternatives.
What is Selenium?
Selenium is a set of different software tools that helps support test automation. When a person knows all the tools, it will provide them with a multitude of options for approaching different test automation problems. Components of Selenium can be classified into 4 categories namely:
- Selenium Grid
- Selenium Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Selenium Remote Control(RC)
Features of Selenium are as follows:
- Selenium is mainly used for regression testing and functional testing.
- It is a free open source framework that is used for testing web applications.
- Different types of programming languages like Python, Java, Ruby, etc., are utilized for writing the test scripts in Selenium.
- Selenese is the set of commands used in Selenium IDE which is utilized to execute the tests.
- Cross-browser testing is supported in Selenium.
The major difference between RPA and Selenium are as follows:
- Selenium is utilized for automating web application testing. Whereas, RPA is utilized for automating business processes like processing of transactions calculation, record maintenance, processing of transactions, and queries.
- Selenium automates web pages while RPA automates the time-consuming backend process.
- Selenium is an open-source testing tool whereas RPA comprises tools such as BluePrism, Automation Anywhere, UiPath, and many more.
- Selenium has a complex life cycle in comparison to RPA.
- RPA simplifies the procedure by facilitating the order entry while Selenium executes functions like sign up, entry, and log in.
- RPA assists in protecting records of data and the best part is that it is adjustable in handling clerical processes. Selenium does not support the clerical processes as it functions on the front end of the web application.
Both RPA and Selenium are distinct tools and are designed to perform two distinct functions. Both these tools are not in competition with each other but both of them depend on each other for obtaining the desired result.